Monday, June 7, 2010

HTC Evo Photo comparison

I have been playing around with the back camera ( 8 Megapixel, dual flash) on my Evo. So far, I have been pretty impressed with what it can do, considering it is a cell phone camera. Low light is a challenge, but the flash does well for objects not too far away. Shade gives a little focal issue,
From Drop Box
but it is so much better than the camera on my BB ( which got used a LOT) that I am stunned and more than pleased. Our household camera is a Kodak Z950, which is a good little all purpose point and shoot for us. the other night, we were goofing around on the deck, waiting for a storm to roll in and so I decided to do some side by side shoots for comparison. All of the pictures are untouched.

This is the shot from the Kodak, no flash at all from across the deck toward the fireplace under construction. You can see it was pretty dark out.
From DeckStormPics


The Evo with Flash manages to light up the area pretty well, but the flash causes some pretty bad washout.

From EvoDeckStormPics


Flash on the Kodak caused less washout.
From DeckStormPics


Rearranging the lantern the boys had inside the fireplace gave better clarity with the Evo,
From EvoDeckStormPics
and even gave pretty good results when zoomed all the way in as far as the Evo could:
From EvoDeckStormPics
.

The Zoom on the Evo still can not touch that of the Kodak ( no surprise), so it will not be completely replacing our family camera.

From DeckStormPics


I was pleasantly surprised that the Evo did not give me a complete blur when I shot the boys climbing out of the fireplace from across the deck with only the flash:

From EvoDeckStormPics


All in all, don't be surprised to see me whip out my cell phone and grab a quick pic.

[video test and review soon to follow]

No comments:

Post a Comment