Monday, June 30, 2008

The things my couch ate

The remote control for our TV had been missing for over 36 hours. Not the remote to the IPTV, or the remote to the DVD or the remote to the Raiku.. not even the remote to the iPod dock... but the one to the actual TV... the one that lets us switch between input signals, turn CC off and on, etc.. ( can you see why I have a Drawer for remotes alone?)

We had looked in all the obvious places... under the couch cushions, under the couch, in the kitchen, in my younger daughter's bedroom ( she walks off with things in her hands all the time),downstairs by the other tv, in the laundry room, in the kitchen by the phone.

No luck, no remote.

Finally frustrated, the thought occurred to me that maybe the remote had not merely fallen under the cushions but down "inside" the couch.. in that odd space that pinches your hand if you remove the cushions, squish down the springs and stick your hand in "under" the back of the couch.

Sure enough, I pulled out the missing remote. In addition to some gigantic dustbunnies and odd crumbs, I also pulled out the following:

1 telephone handset, missing for about 10 days. Battery dead. ( sitting on charger now)
1 remote control to the boombox in the basement
1 telephone handset to the OLD phone system we had about 2 years ago... other pieces long gone
5 pencils
2 pens
1 pen style DS stylus
6 cents
a plastic frog dog toy ( dog long gone)
a squishy rubber toy worm
1 brush
1 pair socks
1 small fabric bag
1 hair clip ( eldest daughter's)
GBA Pokemon Sapphire game


Apparently, I need to remove the couch cushions and reach deep into the couch about once a week to find what new things it has eaten.....

2 comments:

  1. I know the deep recesses of which you speak. I found my wife's glasses there last month, along with a list of things that I wasn't meticulous enough to catalogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe, just read that to my wife. We're looking forward to our kids "dropping" things where the couch can eat them.

    http://twitter.com/ceeller

    ReplyDelete